Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Vulnerability to the Dark Side

When thoughts occur to us, they are either coming from the Holy Spirit or from the evil one. How often am I entertaining a thought from the wrong side? Can I discern the source of my thoughts? When I practice conversing with God, converting every thought into a dialogue with Him, He becomes real in my life – close, relevant, Immanuel, the Lord my God! I can walk with Him, laugh with Him, cry with Him, share all of the details of my life with Him…He is my Daddy, my Protector, my Everything. Throughout the course of these conversations, the Lord fills my heart with His Spirit, He protects me from the enemy. Only through constant conversation with God can I be assured that my thoughts come from the Holy Spirit.

Am I constantly conversing with God? No. My spirit is in constant battle with my flesh for control. My flesh is tangible – it is here, I can touch it, I cannot cast it aside. The thoughts of my flesh weave in and out of my existence at a rapid-fire pace, and I am so used to the cacophony that I rarely pay attention to the origin of my thoughts. My flesh dominates my thoughts, and even when I attempt to focus solely on God, the barriers I have erected to keep out the flesh are so weak that many fleshly thoughts break through and enter into the place I want to give to God. I am “fluent” in fleshly thoughts and worries, and I want so much to forget this language and become fluent in the Kingdom language. This can happen only when I choose to become Christ’s slave and learn His language, truly dying to my flesh and all of its thoughts. The barriers that protect my thought life from the evil one will be strong and impenetrable only when I am fully enslaved to Jesus Christ.

Dear Abba, Daddy - I am a baby. I am weak. In the midst of everything I thought I understood about You and living the Christian life, I knew nothing. All I want is to know You. I want to be like Christ. I want to die to my flesh and live through Christ! I want my life to glorify You. I want to walk with You and enjoy a lifelong conversation with You. Thank You for Your mercy and compassion toward me, Your wayward daughter. Teach me to be in constant conversation with You! Teach me to block all thoughts that do not come from You! Give me the privilege of remembering my past so that I may repent of all of my sins and be truly cleansed. Be with me, Lord, and give me discipline and perseverance in this life so that I may grow closer to You each minute and be a constant reflection of Jesus. I love You and am honored to be Your adopted child. Thank You for Your blessing. May Your Name be glorified forever and ever!! Amen.

No comments: